Thursday, April 23, 2009

1 is the loneliest number, but 4 sucks

In my entire rewriting/writing process, I've had a lot of trouble simply because my play has four central characters. While that alone adds a challenge enough, to have their paths all intersect really cakes on the challenge. My question is, is anyone else finding themselves in that sort of situation and if so how are you dealing with it?

I will tell you it has given me a whole new respect for writers whoe are able to pull this off. To take a person from the start to the finish of a story is one thing, to take four a, and fully develop them to make it where anyone cares really requires so much thinking!

This weekend I saw the movie Duplicity. In spite of its all star cast, (Leading with Clive Owen and Julia Roberts) it has not done so well in the box office. For those who havn't heard about it, it is a story of two corporate spies who are lovers, that are caught up in a gigantic conglomerate deal that could make or break their career, as well as trying to balance their love life.

It sounds like a lot, and it is, however, it was very good movie. Smarter than anything I've seen in a long time. But, this is also its downfall. I felt like I just finished the LSAT because the plot was so overlycomplicated, (from the writer of Michael Clayton, if that gives you a hint) and it litterally wore you out.

But here is the point, to write something like that, with so many characters, and that intricate, is something that is truly bad @ss, but for those of us who can't write Michael Clayton or duplicity, what can we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment