Monday, February 16, 2009

Time

When I saw Lidless, I was pretty intimidated by the intensity of this well crafted play. The thought and time in this play really played with the mind, and I enjoyed the hopping back and forth. It made me wonder what really happens to the play if it jumps around like this. It was as if it was just moving whenever it felt like it wanted to but having a satisfying finish. From what I remember of Death of a Salesman, the flashbacks and memories worked really well and started to place the play in a different category of its own. I enjoyed both plays for their authenticity and creative plots.
Time in a play can be manipulated in any way possible, and when it's actually done, it becomes more than just a simple plot that has one climax and an end. I really enjoy learning about time in a play because to me it is almost better when everything is mixed up and has a finish that connects everything for me. I love to watch flashbacks play out because then I get to learn more about the characters and plot than I originally knew. It honestly makes the whole play more interesting to watch and enjoy.
I'm not convinced that Lidless could've passed as a play if it only had it's violent and intense moments that followed in a straight line. In some cases, I think a play should take total advantage of the intensity of the plot and just carry it out all the way. I would like there to be more broken moments in the time of a play. It would feel like I'm watching a play that isn't only smart and astonishingly creative, but it satisfies its ultimate interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment