Thursday, February 26, 2009

flashcard homework

Truthfully, I'm thrilled to find that I was not the only one who found the flashcard assignment difficult. No matter what I did, as soon as I came up with a what-if question (and that's time-consuming enough when you're thoroughly brain-fried in the wee hours of the night) I would immediately find myself fitting the actions on the cards to my idea of what the story could be. The beauty of having everyone in the class make flashcards is that no one has the exact same play in mind, so the combination is more interesting and eclectic. With one person… it's a challenge. A good, useful challenge, but a challenge nonetheless. It's bit like, as Sherlock Holmes said, twisting facts to fit theories in a detective case, which he declared was "a capital mistake."

On a more positive note, I totally agree with everyone who liked the idea of plays being made up of vignettes. The image of those little moments on stage can really be the ones that stick in your head, and can be made to have the most psychological significance later on. And the questions that arise from the vignettes can open up the heart of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment