Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Language in the Theater - Our Voice Can Be Heard

The playwright has power over the words and the language on stage. This pleases and saddens me, because I now can have faith in the fact that my work will never be changed and morph into something that is unrecognizable. I would like to leave school with the idea that no one can change the most essential tool, I believe, that a play has to use. I think it can be seen in all the different readings that we've done so far, especially in those that of Oscar Wilde and William Shakespeare. These two men have the beautiful tendency to add in as much detail as possible that may not be relevant at first but can transform a scene into so much more.
I liked the class discussion and activity. The way people can heighten a simple sentence and exaggerate the thoughts one can have in a scene is why I wanted to pursue playwriting. The ability to transform simple words into a huge profession of happiness or love or pain is a truly remarkable trait that writers should never deny.
It saddens me, however, that language can be the most a playwright is allowed to be involved with in the production of his or her play. I would want to contribute more to a play other than it's language.

No comments:

Post a Comment