Monday, February 2, 2009

Team Beckett #1

Can I just say that I'm loving this class?! It's nice to be able to do some creative writing. I complain a lot about never having time to read what I want to read, to write what I want to write. And by 3:30 tomorrow (hopefully), we'll all have written two three-page scenes and one monologue. And while I'm not totally, completely, head-over-heels in love with anything I've written so far, it's not half bad.

I also have to admit that writing in-class, on the spot is new to me. It's a little nerve-wracking, but it's exciting as well. And once it's all over, and Jenny calls time, I look back on the last 8 or so minutes and I'm proud of myself for getting the words out. Even, like I mentioned before, if it's not amazing.

I wanted to comment on something Julia said at the beginning of Thursday's class. I too find that I focus more on writing stage directions than I do dialogue. In our first three-page scene that we submitted on Thursday, I think mine made it to three pages quicker than I thought because of my stage directions. I do think that it comes from my experience writing short stories and poetry, and even in writing short stories I find dialogue the most difficult part of a story to write. I guess that's a big part of why I'm here.

I really liked the last exercise we did, where we wrote our three wants on a sheet of paper, etc. Surprisingly, the paper I chose contained three wants similar to my own. It could have easily been my paper, my wants.

1. I want to be in complete control of my mind.
2. I want more quality time with my boyfriend.
3. The tangible thing I want is money.

Even though I have no idea whose wants these are, it's pretty cool to know that we may have more in common than we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment