Monday, March 23, 2009

long plays… aristotle post

Ahhhh… the long play. Far more difficult than expected, challenging, and yet… a satisfying experience, once it's completed.

While reading over some of the previous blog posts, I was again struck by that fabulous quote from… how appalling, I've already forgotten the title. Something like "Elements of Style"? Basically, the quote about making all your words count, or "tell." While I think that is a really wonderful philosophy to adopt, I realized while writing my play that I simply cannot execute it while in the actual writing process. Has anyone had the same experience? (And no, that is not meant to be a rhetorical question.) It stunts creativity in the middle of a moment of inspiration, which for someone like me is fatal. Inspiration does not come all the time for me, and when it does come, I have to grab it and not be interrupted. If it wasn't highly unprofessional to put a smiley face in a class blog post, I would have put one there, most likely.

I'm imagining this idea comes more into play in the editing process… when one has passed the stage of coming up with ideas, one can focus more on elegance of style. I'm looking forward to experimenting with that in the workshops and revisions…

No comments:

Post a Comment