Monday, March 2, 2009

Cutting and Editting

The flashcards idea is very original. The idea that just using this as an editting technique is smart, but I'm not sure if it is working for me. Usually, my inspiration comes from just writing and writing, and I rarely think of where I'm headed. I try my hardest to answer the questions I need, but it doesn't make sense all the time. This is when I usually throw it out. I know that most of the editting that is done in the class should be subjective, and we should only focus on the questions we ask ourselves. I have particularly hard time trying to edit what is needed and throw out what isn't. I find it difficult because there are always facts in a story that I think are needed. I sometimes think that I'm the type of guy who would tell a story and repeat as much information that really isn't needed. I always think there are details that are needed when writing a play.
I'm not sure what to say about the play, "Idiot." Unfortunately, I missed the night it was free and was gone all weekend. I think I would like to address "Portrait" one last time, though. There was a question of how to write a play about someone who actually existed. I think there was also a question of the ethical aspect of it and how much of the story was fiction. I think that a story about a person who lived years before and really impacted the world is always significant and interesting, no matter what. I don't think that a playwright should turn a piece of a story into fiction unless there is no fact that can back it up. But "Portrait" was done so successfully that I wouldn't doubt that any of it actually happened. There might have been a few places where the story was exaggerated, like the sketches of a beaten child, but I think everything was right on. A perfect example of how a story of a real person should be filled fact more than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment