Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dietz Post: Opposites

So I've been thinking lately about this peer reading stuff. And my personal conclusion is that it is great on many levels.

Personally, I find it provides affirmation to boost confidence. Allows me to see where everyone else is at stylistically, allowing more examples for mysef to feed off of. It even gave me a test example of how stunning, (or boring) my play was. This already has helped tremendously in the cutting of my play.

But here is a question I've been pondering over. In theatre, or in story telling in general for that matter, stories are never completely original. However, often they captivate audiences with either their stylistic surprises or surprise plot twists.

So my question is, if we were to do the exact opposite of what our peers wanted, or at least expected to see, what would be the outcome?

A hit? A complete disaster? Or maybe both?

I'm not saying I want to be the guinea pig here, but if someone were to take all the suggestions they received in class and re-do their play with the exact opposite, I am willing to bet money that some critic out there would acclain the s#*t out of it.

I mean, take something local. For example, last year's Assassins. "A play about assassins", I bet the peers loved the idea and were full of recommendations on action sequences, in depth drama, time shifts, etc. "Turning the thing into a musical!" I bet people were like, "There goes your career" But in the end, it turned out to be brilliant if you ask me. I mean, I had no idea about it prior to, and on watching it I was litterally thrilled.

And look at something on a bigger scale, take a Blockbuster for example like the Batman Begins.
Now I bet when the writers finished the script for that bad boy, his peers were like, "Dude, it's Batman, chill out!" But he did his own thing and look at what became of it? Greatest story since the Bible. (Kidding, but you get the point.)

Granted my examples, may not be that legit, but I guarantee each and every one of us can name a story they love that completely seems stupid to someone else. So I'm simply throwing the question out there. What if we do the opposite of what we are recommended? Could something far greater come about? Or will we be destined to a life of living from our cars and showering in public restrooms at rest stops?

No comments:

Post a Comment