Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My photograph featured two girl, who seem to be friends. One girl is striking a fun, relaxed, confident pose and the other is barely smiling, standing erect, eyes boring into the camera.

I chose the eye-boring girl. Duh.

The girls pose for the picture. They are laughing, goofing around, then the camera clicks and they freeze. Blondie steps forward:

That's my friend Carlie. She's - wow.. she's - pretty incredible. She's loud and funny and people listen when she speaks. My mom would say she "commands the room." My mom would also tell me being the quiet one is ok too. Roman says the same thing. He says that just because I don't really like a lot of attention doesn't mean I'm less interesting or fun to be around, or - or  anything like that. He says that anyway. But how am I supposed to really believe what he says, feel it, you know, when she's the one who's always making him laugh, telling the crazy stories, and jokes? I have stories too I guess, I just don't tell them in front of everybody! He can't seem to take his eyes off her when she speaks. Nobody can. She's just one of those people. She always has been. And it's awful because I love her, she's my best friend. I don't know how else to say it. It's awful because I'm angry and I can't be. She hasn't done anything wrong but sometime I just - hate her. And she loves me. And it's awful.

2 comments:

  1. good choice.
    i like the language. you really get a sense of the character's age and personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi. I've felt like this often! Infact, I was thinking about writing a monologue about a shy girl who admires someone outgoing before I read this. Maybe I still will, but it won't be a best friend, it will be someone else.

    Did this come from something you experienced, or were you putting yourself in someone else's shoes? You always seemed pretty outgoing to me, but then so does my cousin (a drama teacher), and I learned over the break that no, she's actually an introvert.

    ReplyDelete